Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A very easy explanation on how to change user password in Ubuntu?

A friend installed Ubuntu in my computer and put a ridiculously easy user password on it. I want to change the password to something safer but my friend has left.

I know the password, but how do I do I change it?

I would appreciate VERY clear directions:%26quot; click on such-and-such%26quot;, or %26quot;type such-and-such%26quot; etc as I already did an internet search on the subject and found similar questions and the answers, but for the life of me couldn't get it!!!



Thanks in advanceA very easy explanation on how to change user password in Ubuntu?
Easiest way:



1. Open a terminal (Main Menu %26gt; Accessories %26gt; Terminal)

2. Type %26quot;sudo passwd %26lt;username%26gt;%26quot; (without quotes, and replace %26lt;username%26gt; with your username.)

3. Enter a new password



Of course, there is a graphical way to do this, but my method will work no matter what. That, and I've forgotten the Ubuntu menu layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment